Richard Marfuggi, MD, is an accomplished plastic surgeon, educator, author, keynote and motivational speaker, and proven innovator. Dr. Marfuggi has appeared in many of the top national magazines, including Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, Men’s Health, and Allure.
He has also been featured as a plastic surgery consultant on a variety of television shows discussing an array of topics from spot reduction to chemical peels.
Dr. Marfuggi also has xtensive experience in the medical humanities applied to: business, biomedical/pharmacologic product development, health insurance as well as medical education.
He is a respected educator teaching undergraduate/graduate courses, seminars, and serving as Academic Director of a major not-for-profit organization
Doctor of Medical Humanities – With Distinction (DMH-honors)
Master of Medical Humanities (MMH)
Certificate in Medical Humanities (CMH)
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
New York University
Residency/Chief Residency – Plastic Surgery
Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine
Residency/Chief Residency – General Surgery
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Hospitals of the University Health Center of Pittsburgh
Internship/Residency – General Surgery
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
College of the Holy Cross
Artium Baccalaureatum – In Cursu Honoris (AB-Honors)
Licensure and Certification
- State of New York Physician & Surgeon License
- State of New Jersey Physician & Surgeon License
- Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association Physician Recognition Award
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society
- NY County Medical Society
- NY State Medical Society
- Morris County Medical Society
- Medical Society of NJ
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Medical History Society of NJ
- NJ Society of Plastic Surgeons
Publication and Presentations
- Ariyan, Stephen, Richard A. Marfuggi, Glenn Harder, and Margaret M. Goodie.
“An Experimental Model to Determine the Effects of Adjuvant Therapy on the Incidence of Postoperative Wound Infection – Evaluation of Pre-operative Radiation Therapy.” PRS Volume 65, Number3.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Fluoresceine Update.” Southern Surgical Association Meeting, 1980.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. and Mark Greenspan, “A Reliable Method of Predicting Intestinal Viability Using a Fluorescent Indicator.” SGO January, 1981
- Greenspan, Mark and Richard A. Marfuggi, Movie: Predicting Tissue Viability. 1981.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “The Solitary Neck Mass.” Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine Grand Rounds, 1981.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “The Barber Surgeons.” Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine Chief Resident’s Presentation, 1981.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Head and Neck Reconstruction.” Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, New York University Medical Center, 1982.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. and David T. W. Chiu. “Local complications of Drug Abuse by Injection in the Upper Extremity; Classification and Treatment.” Transaction of the International Congress of Plastic Surgery, 1983.
- Marfuggi, Richard A., Director. “Plastic Surgery Symposium: New Treatments for Old Problems.” Morristown Memorial Hospital, 1985.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Facial Fractures.” Morristown Memorial Hospital Surgical Grand Rounds, 1986.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. Plastic Surgery – What You Need To Know, Before, During, and After. New York: The Berkley Publishing Group, 1998.
- Marfuggi, Richard A., Faculty. “Medical School for Lawyers: II” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January, 1999.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Distributive Justice & Our New Social Order – The Genetically Enhanced vs. The Genetically Challenged.” Master’s Dissertation, Drew University, Madison, NJ, July 23, 1999.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Medical School, Post-Graduate Training, and the Medical Humanities – What’s the Connection?” Drew University Pre-Medical Society. November 29, 2001.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. Healing America’s Health Care Education System – An Early Intervention Program for Future Health Care Workers. Ann Arbor, Michigan: UMI ProQuest, 2003.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. NSLC Medicine & Health Care Course Materials, 6th Edition. Chicago: National Student Leadership Conference, 2006.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “The Ethics of Emerging Technologies,” Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Program, University College, Rutgers University, October 12, 2006.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Ethical Decision-Making,” 15th Annual Senior Ethics Lecture, Illinois Mathematics & Science Academy, Aurora, Illinois, April 12, 2007.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. NSLC Medicine & Health Care Course Materials, 7th Edition. Chicago: National Student Leadership Conference, 2007.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Ethics of Emerging Technologies,” Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Program, University College, Rutgers University, October 11, 2007.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Emerging Technologies, Medicine, & You – Dilemmas Facing the Doctors & Patients of Tomorrow,” Preparing for Responsible Leadership in Healthcare, University of Richmond, November 28, 2007.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “The Ethics of Emerging Technologies,” University College Community Post-baccalaureate Pre-health Program, Rutgers University, October 16, 2008.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Health Care Justice,” Round Table Facilitator, 3rd Graduate Medical Humanities Symposium, Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, Drew University, November 8, 2008.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “Introduction to Medical Humanities – Ownership of Life,” Medical Society of New Jersey, Committee on Biomedical Ethics, Lawrenceville, March 19, 2009
- Marfuggi, Richard A. “The Humanities in Medical Education,” Medical Society of New Jersey, Committee on Biomedical Ethics, Lawrenceville, March 17, 2011.
- Zimmerman, Thomas and Marfuggi, Richard (2012) “Medical Humanities Role in Medical Education,” World Medical & Health Policy: Vol. 4: Iss. 2, Article 12.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. Keynote Address: “Healing in the 21st Century,” Midwest Aspiring Physicians 2013 Conference, American Medical Student Association, University of Wisconsin: School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, October 18, 2013.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. Capstone Seminar in Medicine and Health Issues: “The Humanities in Medicine,” Caldwell University, Caldwell, New Jersey, October 30, 2014
- Fennelly, Joseph F. and Marfuggi, Richard A. End-of-Life Care (POLST) Session, 63rd Annual Clinical Symposium New Jersey Chapter, American College of Surgeons, December 6, 2014.
- Marfuggi, Richard A. and Menkin, Allen. Medicine, Bioethics, and the Holocaust: Reflecting on the Past to Protect the Future – Heuristic Workshop for the Medical Community, Drew University’s Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, Madison, New Jersey, April 16, 2015